Exempt/Non-Exempt Status: The Medical Assistant position is a non-exempt position.
Reporting Relationship: The Medical Assistant will report to the Vice President of Health Services. This position has no direct reports.
Position Summary: The Medical Assistant is responsible for ensuring that all medical files are kept complete, organized and up to date to the best of their ability.
Physical Demands: The Medical Assistant position involves sitting up to 8 hours per day, repetitive typing, bending, the ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, stand, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, fine motor manipulations, talk, hear and complete repetitive motions. The position involves working in indoor and potentially outdoor environments. The position may involve supporting people served in the community and could involve frequent driving.
Telecommuting: Telecommuting is not approved for this position.
- The Medical Assistant must possess a current, valid Certified Illinois Medical Assistant license/diploma/degree
- One year of experience is preferred
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must possess the necessary sensory abilities in order that all of the job responsibilities described in this success profile are adequately fulfilled.
- Must take and successfully pass the S-TOFHLA reading comprehension test.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and writing skills.
- Must successfully pass all required background checks.
- Must possess/demonstrate excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks at once.
- Must exhibit regular and predictable attendance.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands described in the Physical Demands section of this profile.
Essential Job Functions:
- Document, scan and upload paperwork from client appointments
- Input weights, height, other vitals from appointment paperwork
- Input lab values in Therap/Schedule lab draws PRN
- Keep all files organized and arranged per RN requirements
- Files any and all paperwork
- Scans medical documents into Therap.
- Develop and monitor office supply inventory.
- Manage medical supply deliveries to residential sites.
- Keep the office stocked with medical supplies/equipment.
- Track First aid kits in the homes and vehicles. Keep all first aid kits stocked with required supplies.
- Assist with delivering medications to the homes/arrange for med pick up.
- Devise a system by which all DHS required appointments are tracked and scheduled (physical, 6 month, Dental, eye) Input new appointmentinformation into Therap and send all corresponding scomm reminders.
- Assist RNs as needed in administering Flu Shots, Depo Shots, TB tests and client suppositories.
- Weekly spot checks of MARs to monitor documentation with report of findings given to the appropriate RN
- Make copies of all needed training sheets for classes
- Make and deliver copies of medical consents and exams as needed to the homes
- Update and send out all medical consents on an annual basis
- Will be required to work mandatory overtime as assigned during staffing shortages and assist with medically related tasks.
- Other duties as assigned by the VPHS or Chief Operating Officer.